Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walldown enclosures

A Scheduled Monument in Whitehill, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1016 / 51°6'5"N

Longitude: -0.8612 / 0°51'40"W

OS Eastings: 479832.685831

OS Northings: 134201.997816

OS Grid: SU798342

Mapcode National: GBR CB1.YXX

Mapcode Global: VHDYM.1K2W

Entry Name: Walldown enclosures

Scheduled Date: 2 October 1952

Last Amended: 3 July 2000

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1017368

English Heritage Legacy ID: 30287

County: Hampshire

Civil Parish: Whitehill

Built-Up Area: Bordon

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Blackmoor and Whitehill; St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Details

The monument includes the remains of two enclosures on Walldown, the later of
which is banked and ditched and was used during the Civil War as a fieldwork.
The enclosures are situated on the north eastern edge of a sandy ridge with
good views to the north and east.

The earliest of the two enclosures was oval in plan and subsequently became
partially overlain by a series of banks and ditches defining a polygonal area.
Although disturbed, traces of the earlier enclosure are visible as short
lengths of curvilinear banks and ditches. The later polygonal enclosure is
much more clearly defined and consists of banks up to 2m in height, 4m in
width and between 40m and 50m in length. On all but the eastern side of the
enclosure the banks have an external ditch up to 1.5m in depth and there are
also the remains of a counterscarp bank to the north east. A break in the
south eastern bank and a corresponding causeway across the ditch both appear
to be original and probably represent the entrance. A circular mound set
against the eastern side of the enclosures is thought to be a viewing platform
related to the recreational use of the area from the 19th century onwards,
although it could be an earlier feature adapted for this purpose.

The substantial scale of the polygonal enclosure suggests that it was
constructed for defence, whilst its shape indicates that it was intended to be
used in conjunction with firearms. Documentary sources show that there was a
considerable amount of military activity in the area during the Civil War,
particularly in 1643 when a Parliamentarian garrision was established at
Farnham. In response the Royalists are believed to have constructed a series
of small defensive works on a line south east from Bentley. Given its form and
situation the polygonal enclosure could belong to this period and if so would
have functioned as a lookout. In addition, a document dated to 1789 mentions
Waldon-lodge, a structure of oak bowers and brushwood situated on one of the
`eminent prominences of the forest' which was renewed annually on the feast
of St Barnabas and which might be an early reference to the monument.

All fence posts, benches, sign boards and the surfaces of all pathways are
excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

English Civil War fieldworks are earthworks which were raised during military
operations between 1642 and 1645 to provide temporary protection for infantry
or to act as gun emplacements. The earthworks, which may have been reinforced
with revetting and palisades, consisted of banks and interconnected trenches.
Given the generally transitory nature of warfare during this period, limited
time and resources meant that existing features were often enhanced or adapted
for offensive or defensive purposes. Purpose-built and adapted fieldworks are
recorded widely throughout England with concentrations in the main areas of
campaigning. There are some 150 surviving examples of fieldworks recorded
nationally. All examples which survive well are identified as nationally
important.

Walldown enclosure is a good example of an existing earthwork adapted for
military usage in the post-medieval period. It survives well and will retain
archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to its initial
construction, subsequent reuse and the landscape in which it developed.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Corney, M, Walldown, Bordon, Hants, (1987)
White, G, The Natural History of Selborne, (1789), p.21
Lyne, M, 'Proc of the Hampshire Field Club and Archaeological Society' in Civil War Earthworks East of Alton, , Vol. Vol 46, (1990), p.181-4
Other
Corney, M., Letter from Mark Corney to Mike Hughes, (1987)
Graham, D., Letter from David Graham to Vince Holyoak, (1999)
Hampshire County Council, SU 73 SE 6,
Hopkins, D., Letter from David Hopkins to John Schofield, (1998)
Saunders, A.D., Letter from Andrew Saunders to John Schofield, (1998)
Schofield, A.J., Letter from John Schofield to Andrew Saunders, (1998)
Title: Ordnance Survey 26" Series
Source Date: 1937
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:

Title: Ordnance Survey 6" Series
Source Date: 1874
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.