This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1231 / 51°7'23"N
Longitude: -3.2292 / 3°13'45"W
OS Eastings: 314069.080368
OS Northings: 136694.148
OS Grid: ST140366
Mapcode National: GBR LV.9KQQ
Mapcode Global: VH6H3.Z16D
Entry Name: Churchyard cross immediately south of Holy Ghost Church
Scheduled Date: 11 December 1951
Last Amended: 24 September 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1017221
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32188
Civil Parish: Crowcombe
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
The monument includes a medieval cross located near the south porch of the
Holy Ghost Church. The remains of the original cross structure include a
three-stepped octagonal base and socket stone constructed of red sandstone,
and a Ham stone shaft. The lower base step is 3.7m in diameter and each side
is approximately 1.5m in length and 0.3m high. The sides of the upper base
step are approximately 1m in length and 0.3m high. This is surmounted by
a square socket stone 0.9m square at the base, 0.45m high with chamfered
corners and steep convex broaches. An irregular octagonal shaft about 2.8m
high is set into the socket stone. Three faces of the shaft are decorated with
canopied niches each containing a sculpted figure thought to represent St John
the Baptist, a bishop and a prioress. The original cross head is missing.
However, it was replaced in 1720 by a substitute crosshead which has itself
been damaged in antiquity. The cross is Listed Grade II*.
All grave stones and the road surface where they fall within the cross's
protective margin are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground
beneath them is included.
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 1 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
Source: Historic England
A standing cross is a free standing upright structure, usually of stone,
mostly erected during the medieval period (mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD).
Standing crosses served a variety of functions. In churchyards they served as
stations for outdoor processions, particularly in the observance of Palm
Sunday. Elsewhere, standing crosses were used within settlements as places for
preaching, public proclamation and penance, as well as defining rights of
sanctuary. Standing crosses were also employed to mark boundaries between
parishes, property, or settlements. A few crosses were erected to commemorate
battles. Some crosses were linked to particular saints, whose support and
protection their presence would have helped to invoke. Crosses in market
places may have helped to validate transactions. After the Reformation, some
crosses continued in use as foci for municipal or borough ceremonies, for
example as places for official proclamations and announcements; some were the
scenes of games or recreational activity.
Standing crosses were distributed throughout England and are thought to have
numbered in excess of 12,000. However, their survival since the Reformation
has been variable, being much affected by local conditions, attitudes and
religious sentiment. In particular, many cross-heads were destroyed by
iconoclasts during the 16th and 17th centuries. Less than 2,000 medieval
standing crosses, with or without cross-heads, are now thought to exist. The
oldest and most basic form of standing cross is the monolith, a stone shaft
often set directly in the ground without a base. The most common form is the
stepped cross, in which the shaft is set in a socket stone and raised upon a
flight of steps; this type of cross remained current from the 11th to 12th
centuries until after the Reformation. Where the cross-head survives it may
take a variety of forms, from a lantern-like structure to a crucifix; the more
elaborate examples date from the 15th century. Much less common than stepped
crosses are spire-shaped crosses, often composed of three or four receding
stages with elaborate architectural decoration and/or sculptured figures; the
most famous of these include the Eleanor crosses, erected by Edward I at the
stopping places of the funeral cortege of his wife, who died in 1290. Also
uncommon are the preaching crosses which were built in public places from the
13th century, typically in the cemeteries of religious communities and
cathedrals, market places and wide thoroughfares; they include a stepped base,
buttresses supporting a vaulted canopy, in turn carrying either a shaft and
head or a pinnacled spire. Standing crosses contribute significantly to our
understanding of medieval customs, both secular and religious, and to our
knowledge of medieval parishes and settlement patterns. All crosses which
survive as standing monuments, especially those which stand in or near their
original location, are considered worthy of protection.
The cross immediately south of Holy Ghost Church survives well in its original
position and displays fine medieval figurative sculpting despite the loss of
its original cross head and the damage to its replacement.
Source: Historic England
Other nearby scheduled monuments