Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mound, Walton Place

A Scheduled Monument in Tadworth and Walton, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2823 / 51°16'56"N

Longitude: -0.2491 / 0°14'56"W

OS Eastings: 522204.95841

OS Northings: 155136.836108

OS Grid: TQ222551

Mapcode National: GBR JHC.HV3

Mapcode Global: VHGS2.M1NB

Entry Name: The Mound, Walton Place

Scheduled Date: 30 November 1925

Last Amended: 9 May 1991

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1009519

English Heritage Legacy ID: 12781

County: Surrey

Electoral Ward/Division: Tadworth and Walton

Built-Up Area: Ewell

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Walton-on-the-Hill

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Details

The Mound was originally identified as a burial mound but more recent survey
has identified it as a Motte, albeit of unusual form, of early post-Conquest
date. It includes a large and flat-topped earthen mound at least partly-
enclosed by a ditch which is easily visible on the south and south-east
sides. The mound itself measures some 33m by 30m in overall diameter, of
which the central 21- 23m is the flat top. The mound stands some 2.4m above
the level of the surrounding land. The sides slope steeply, especially on
the northern side where some alteration to the mound is likely to have
accompanied the construction of the access road to Walton Place.
The surviving part of the ditch is similarly steeply-sided and drops to a
level some 1.5m below the surrounding ground. It has a maximum width of 9m.
On all but the southern and south-eastern sides any ditch around the mound
has been infilled to facilitate access to the neighbouring buildings of the
medieval manor house.
Little is known of the history of the mound. The manor of Walton was held by
Richard de Tonbridge soon after the Conquest and later by Gilbert de Clare,
both of whom are known to be prolific castle builders, but it was also owned
by the Carew family in the early 17th century at which time the manor house
was extensively rebuilt. The Mound may have been remodelled to form a
prospect mount from which to view a formal garden during this period,
accounting for its unusual form. Stone foundations of unknown date have been
reported, although none are visible today. The metalling of the access road,
where it lies within the protected area, is excluded from the scheduling.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Motte castles are medieval fortifications introduced into Britain by the
Normans. They comprised a large conical mound of earth or rubble, the motte,
surmounted by a palisade and a stone or timber tower. In a majority of
examples an embanked enclosure containing additional buildings, the bailey,
adjoined the motte. Motte castles and motte-and-bai1ey castles acted as
garrison forts during offensive military operations, as strongholds, and, in
many cases, as aristocratic residences and as centres of local or royal
administration. Built in towns, villages and open countryside, motte castles
generally occupied strategic positions dominating their immediate locality
and, as a result, are the most visually impressive monuments of the early
post-Conquest period surviving in the modern landscape. Over 600 motte castles
and motte-and-bailey castles are recorded nationally, with examples known from
most regions. Some 100-150 examples do not have baileys and are classified as
motte castles. As one of a restricted range of recognised early post-Conquest
monuments, they are particularly important for the study of Norman Britain and
the development of the feudal system. Although many were occupied for only a
short period of time, motte castles continued to be built and occupied from
the 11th to the 13th centuries, after which they were superseded by other
types of castle.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Stebbing, W, Walton Manor, (1910)
Other
AM 107 Scheduling Documentation, 1958, [TQ25 NW (Surrey Ant. 898)]

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.