Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Site of Archbishop's moated palace and fishponds, Hall Garth.

A Scheduled Monument in Bishop Wilton, East Riding of Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9882 / 53°59'17"N

Longitude: -0.7803 / 0°46'49"W

OS Eastings: 480070.89466

OS Northings: 455373.065718

OS Grid: SE800553

Mapcode National: GBR QQZB.V2

Mapcode Global: WHFC7.Z0LW

Entry Name: Site of Archbishop's moated palace and fishponds, Hall Garth.

Scheduled Date: 6 March 1953

Last Amended: 5 August 1992

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1009383

English Heritage Legacy ID: 21054

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Bishop Wilton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Bishop Wilton St Edith

Church of England Diocese: York

Details

The monument includes a large medieval moated site with attached fishponds
located at the eastern end of the village of Bishop Wilton. The moated island
measures 180 metres south-west to north-east by 90 metres south-east to
north-west, and is enclosed by a moat 3 metres wide and 3 metres deep.
This moat has an outer bank 2 metres wide and surviving to a maximum height
of one metre. A stream runs into and through the south-eastern arm of the
moat, but the remainder of the moat is dry. Two large fishponds are
incorporated into the moat, one located to the south of the south-eastern arm
measures 50 metres by 5 metres. The other at the eastern corner of the
monument measures 40 metres by 35 metres. The interior of the moated island
exhibits a series of upstanding earthworks interpreted as the surviving
remains of the buildings and other features which formerly occupied the
island. These include remains of building platforms to the east of the site
and, at the western corner of the site, a large circular tower. The moat was
crossed on its north-western side, where remains of a gatehouse have been
identified. There are remains of a building platform and a further earthwork
outside the moat, to the south of the monument; these are considered to be
integral to the monument. The site is thought to have been built for
Archbishop Neville during the reign of Edward IV, though the manor itself had
been in the hands of the See of York since the reign of the Saxon king
Athelstan, and so it is likely that the remains visible today overlie earlier
structures. The telegraph poles are excluded from the scheduling, although
the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The Hall Garth site is a very well preserved large moated site which has not
been significantly disturbed since the medieval period. The scale of the
remains indicate that this site was one of considerable contemporary
importance, a point confirmed by surviving documentary evidence. The island
retains extensive evidence of the buildings which formerly occupied it. The
complex surrounding moat and fishponds will retain environmental and
archaeological remains in the silts which have accumulated in them.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Le Patourel, H E J, Moated site of Yorkshire, (1973), 117
Virtue, , Virtue's Gazetteer, (1868), 282
Other
48, Humberside County Council Archaeological Record System (48), (1980)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.