Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Part of the mining complex associated with Marriott's Shaft once part of South Wheal Francis tin and copper mine

A Scheduled Monument in Carn Brea, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2088 / 50°12'31"N

Longitude: -5.2521 / 5°15'7"W

OS Eastings: 168054.602755

OS Northings: 39373.854702

OS Grid: SW680393

Mapcode National: GBR Z2.3X10

Mapcode Global: VH12Q.X09R

Entry Name: Part of the mining complex associated with Marriott's Shaft once part of South Wheal Francis tin and copper mine

Scheduled Date: 3 October 1974

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1005441

English Heritage Legacy ID: CO 953

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Carn Brea

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Redruth

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Details

The monument includes part of the mining complex associated with Marriott's Shaft, which was once part of South Wheal Francis Mine, situated to the north of Four Lanes and to the south of Carn Brea. The complex survives as a series of five roofless buildings, one with a chimney; an ore bin; and the area between these structures. The western building is the crusher house with associated rock crusher station and ore bin and survives as a rectangular-plan building measuring 8.4m by 5.1m and up to 5m high. It once housed a 16 inch Tangye horizontal engine which powered the rock crushing machinery and was built in 1897.
The rock crusher station and ore bin was constructed in the late 1890's. It is a rectangular structure with a sloped west side and to the east is stepped and has a V-shaped hollow. To the east is the compressor house which measures 16.8m long by 9.4m wide and up to 8m high and is of two storeys. It formerly housed a Fraser and Chalmers engine on the first floor which was used to power as many as 30 rock drills. There are many windows and tunnels or conduits which pierce the foundations.
The pump engine house was built in 1897 to replace one destroyed by fire in 1885. It measures 15.9m long by 11.8m wide and up to 16.5m high. Although designed to hold two engines, only one was eventually installed. The chimney stack stands within the adjoining boiler house. The pump engine house has a large arched entrance with a circular window above and further arched windows. The boiler house measures 26.3m by 17.5m and is up to 9m high. It is characterised by numerous arched doorways and a chimney. It originally held four high pressure Lancashire boilers but a further two were later added, and it provided all the steam generation needs for the entire complex.
The winding house to the south measures 18.9m by 14.4m and up to 9.5m high. The Holman compound winding engine was housed on the first floor. The building was constructed in 1888.

South Wheal Francis was originally a copper mine and is first documented in 1823-4. It re-opened in 1834 and started to produce tin in 1852. It reached its peak of production from 1844 to 1895 when 67866 tons of copper ore and 9716 tons of black tin were extracted. Amalgamated with Wheal Bassett in 1895 and then called 'The Bassett Mines Ltd', the mine closed in 1918. It was one of the best equipped mines in Cornwall.

The buildings are all Listed Grade II (66700, 66701, 66702, 66704 and 66706).

Sources: HER:-
PastScape Monument No:-1473693, 1213767, 1213762, 1213744, 1213750, 1213756 and 425778

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

The part of the mining complex associated with Marriott's Shaft, which once formed part of South Wheal Francis tin and copper mine, was renowned as one of the best equipped in Cornwall and formed part of a vastly important industry which had a major economic, social and political impact not only in Cornwall and England, but more widely. Developments in technology and changes in economic viability of minerals causing closures which prompted the migration of miners who took with them the experience and innovations derived form the industry, thus having world wide significance. Such a fine surviving example of the range of industrial buildings associated with this industry is extremely rare and important.

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.