Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Part of the mining complex at South Condurrow and Wheal Grenville Mines, 410m south west of Newton Moor Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Camborne, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 50.2011 / 50°12'4"N

Longitude: -5.2711 / 5°16'16"W

OS Eastings: 166657.728671

OS Northings: 38579.338045

OS Grid: SW666385

Mapcode National: GBR Z0.TJDD

Mapcode Global: VH12Q.L66N

Entry Name: Part of the mining complex at South Condurrow and Wheal Grenville Mines, 410m south west of Newton Moor Farm

Scheduled Date: 26 February 1975

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1004246

English Heritage Legacy ID: CO 874

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Camborne

Built-Up Area: Troon

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Treslothan

Church of England Diocese: Truro


The monument includes part of the mining complex at South Condurrow and Wheal Grenville Mines, situated to the south east of Camborne and north of Troon. The visible surviving surface structures include an engine house; stamps to the south west and north east of the engine house; a fly-wheel pit between the stamps; and the boiler house. The engine house survives as a roofless rectangular-plan stone building measuring 8.37m long, 6.7m wide and 12m high with a tapering cylindrical chimney topped with brick at the south east corner. The building has a bob wall to the north, round headed windows and doorways. Built in about 1891, it housed a 30inch cylinder double-acting engine for pumping and powering the associated stamping machinery. The associated boiler house survives as a surface depression measuring 16.2m by 15m. The loading area contains a condenser pit, crank pit and slots for flywheels and is located to the front of the engine house. It measures 9.2m by 9m and up to 4.4m high. The engine house is Listed Grade II (66624).

The stamping machinery was one of the developments associated with the sinking of the nearby Fortescue's Shaft (see CO873). The new stamps included 112 head of stamps and two rock crushers. The plant was extended to 136 stamps and an incline with a winding engine were constructed to link it to Fortescue's Shaft in 1892. It was further extended in 1893 and 1894, but went out of use when the mine closed in 1920.

The earliest mine workings in the area were called Poling and are recorded in the 1790's. Wheal Grenville Mine produced both tin and copper and first operated in 1845. By 1906, following amalgamation with South Condurrow and part of West Wheal Frances, it became Grenville United Mines. This was taken over by Condurrow Mines Ltd in 1910, and the mine finally closed in 1920. Between the years 1860 and 1920 the mine produced 30824 tons of black tin and 2329 tons of copper.

Further archaeological remains survive in the vicinity some of which are scheduled separately.

Sources: HER:-
PastScape Monument No:-1473351 and 425781

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Tin and copper mining were of immense value to Cornwall, in terms of its economy, social and political development and the effects on the population. The dependence on technology for deep mining ventures produced some of the most characteristic buildings, tall elegant and distinctive with their associated chimneys they are strongly associated with the Cornish landscape still. The importance of these buildings, the surface 'tip of the iceberg' in terms of physical remains related to this vital and important industry most of which is hidden form view beneath the surface provides a visible focus for this important element of Cornwall's past which influenced not only local but world history with migrations of both the mining technology and the miners. This also includes the surface 'dressing' which the raw ore needed to undergo including crushing and washing which all formed part of this integrated process. The part of the mining complex at South Condurrow and Wheal Grenville Mines 410m south west of Newton Moor Farm survives well and will contain archaeological and environmental and chemical evidence relating to the development of this vital industry in the area.

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.