Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Medieval chapel enclosure 340m south east of Hendra Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Grade-Ruan, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.0121 / 50°0'43"N

Longitude: -5.2 / 5°11'59"W

OS Eastings: 170832.713648

OS Northings: 17339.875304

OS Grid: SW708173

Mapcode National: GBR Z5.5C5F

Mapcode Global: FRA 080Z.605

Entry Name: Medieval chapel enclosure 340m south east of Hendra Farm

Scheduled Date: 3 June 1970

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1004339

English Heritage Legacy ID: CO 700

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Grade-Ruan

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Ruan Minor

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Details

The monument includes a medieval chapel enclosure, situated beside a road called Friar's Lane. The enclosure survives as a rectangular area measuring approximately 50m long by 35m wide defined by stone and earth built hedges of up to 1.5m wide and 1.2m high. Buildings, structures, deposits and features within the enclosed area are preserved as buried features. Traditionally known as the site of a chapel and cemetery, there is no known documentation before 1757 when it was referred to in a rental as 'Parkan Chapple'. By 1840 it is called 'Chapel Garden' and according to Henderson is known locally as 'Chapel Archer' or 'Chapel Orchard'. Henderson also suggested tradition holds that it was a Quakers burial ground, although there is no specific evidence that it was ever used by this Society. Carved stones at Hendra and a font at Mullion are also attributed as having come from this location.

Sources: HER:-
PastScape Monument No:-426745

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

A medieval chapel is a building, usually rectangular, containing a range of furnishings and fittings appropriate for Christian worship in the pre- Reformation period. Chapels were designed for congregational worship and were generally divided into two main parts: the nave, which provided accommodation for the laity, and the chancel, which was the main domain of the priest and contained the principal altar. Around 4000 parochial chapels were built between the 12th and 17th centuries as subsidiary places of worship built for the convenience of parishioners who lived at a distance from the main parish church. Chapels, like parish churches, have always been major features of the landscape. A significant number of surviving examples are identified as being nationally important. The sites of abandoned chapels, where positively identified, are particularly worthy of statutory protection as they were often left largely undisturbed and thus retain important information about the nature and date of their use up to their abandonment. Despite some modern disturbance, the medieval chapel enclosure 340m south east of Hendra Farm will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its function, longevity, possible re-use, social and religious significance, abandonment and overall landscape context.

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.