This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2852 / 53°17'6"N
Longitude: -3.58 / 3°34'47"W
OS Eastings: 294763
OS Northings: 377631
OS Grid: SH947776
Mapcode National: GBR 3ZFG.Q2
Mapcode Global: WH657.ZPDC
Entry Name: The Mount, Abergele
Source ID: 3317
Cadw Legacy ID: DE031
Schedule Class: Defence
Built-Up Area: Abergele
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The monument, formerly called The Peel, comprises the remains of a flat-topped earthen platform with rounded corners, probably dating to the medieval period (c. 1066 - 1540 AD). It is located overlooking the River Gele to the N and W. The mound measures c. 30m square and 1.2m in height. Lhuyd writing in c. 1698 records that the site had a defensive function and the monument is perhaps best interpreted as a medieval moated site. 'The Peel' is recorded as early as 1334.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval defensive practices. The monument is well-preserved and is an important relic of the medieval landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of both structural evidence and intact associated deposits.
The area covered by the original designation partially included a block of flats on the SE side. The scheduled area has been revised in order to exclude the flats. The area to be scheduled comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive. It is an irregular polygon in shape and measures 75m N-S by 55m transversely.
Other nearby scheduled monuments