This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4077 / 51°24'27"N
Longitude: -3.4877 / 3°29'15"W
OS Eastings: 296619
OS Northings: 168684
OS Grid: SS966686
Mapcode National: GBR HJ.QFG3
Mapcode Global: VH5HZ.HWJ6
Entry Name: The Chantry House
Scheduled Date: 17 January 1996
Source ID: 1434
Cadw Legacy ID: GM490
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Vale of Glamorgan (Bro Morgannwg)
Community: Llantwit Major (Llanilltud Fawr)
Built-Up Area: Llantwit Major
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The monument consists of a chantry priest's house. A chantry is a chapel attached to, or inside, a church, endowed for the celebration of Masses for the soul of the founder. The house dates to the late medieval period and probably belonging to the Raglan chantry, which was established in the late 15th centrury. A document dated 1572 states that it was founded by Sir Hugh Ragland, and that its property included 'one house with a garden in the south side of the church yode of Lantwitt'. The building lies on the south side of the churchyard, with a small attached area of ground and a Garden of Remebrance. The house has two storeys, comprising a hall with a chamber above. Originally it probably had a small two-storey service range at the entry end. There are fireplaces in the entry end wall at both levels, a latrine and stair in angles. The window in the gable wall of the solar have two lights, with cusped quatrefoil heads.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of medieval Christianity. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail. The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments