This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4072 / 51°24'25"N
Longitude: -3.4889 / 3°29'20"W
OS Eastings: 296537
OS Northings: 168627
OS Grid: SS965686
Mapcode National: GBR HJ.QM4F
Mapcode Global: VH5HZ.GWXM
Entry Name: Llantwit Major Monastic Settlement (Site of)
Source ID: 3501
Cadw Legacy ID: GM142
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Vale of Glamorgan (Bro Morgannwg)
Community: Llantwit Major (Llanilltud Fawr)
Built-Up Area: Llantwit Major
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The monument consists of the remains of a grange, dating to the medieval period. A grange is an outlying farm or estate, usually belonging to a religious order or feudal lord. The term is specifically related to core buildings and structures associated with monastic land holding. Tewkesbury Abbey owned much property in Glamorgan, and early on, probably in the 12th century, was given land at Llantwit Major. The grange was its local farming base, where the great barn, dovecote (GM140) and other farm buildings were located. The site is now mostly reduced to bumps and hollows in the fields. The grange sits either side of the lane - the southern enclosure enclosing 1.6ha. The northern part is in two fields to the north of the lane. Excavations here in 1912-14 and 1937 revealed the remains of various buildings, including animal sheds, stores and a cellar, but all that can be seen now are uneven hollows, with only one small low stretch of walling showing. The whole area was surrounded by a bank revetted with a stone wall on the outside, parts of which are visible in the fields as a low bank or scarp.
The 13th century gatehouse of the grange stands complete at the east end of the lane. The grange's great barn stood along the south side of the lane, west of the gatehouse. It was intact until 1836 and roofless until about 1872, but all that can be seen now are the lowest parts of the long north-west side and north-east end wall, both of which have been incorporated into field boundaries. A gap in the middle of the north-west side indicates a main entrance, which originally had a porch, and was matched by a similar entrance on the south-east side. There is a further smaller entrance towards the east end.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medival ecclesiastical and settlement organisation. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. A grange may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments