This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8722 / 51°52'19"N
Longitude: -5.2688 / 5°16'7"W
OS Eastings: 175075
OS Northings: 224344
OS Grid: SM750243
Mapcode National: GBR C5.S9SB
Mapcode Global: VH0TL.M6GL
Entry Name: St Non's Chapel
Scheduled Date: 6 January 1925
Source ID: 229
Cadw Legacy ID: PE013
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period: Early Medieval
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The monument comprises the remains of a small medieval chapel overlooking the coastline above St. Non's Bay and comprises a simple rectangular building with an entrance on the west. It has an unusual north-south orientation possibly explained by the foundations having been laid out to suit the severe slope. Massive masonry on the southern, downhill end may have been part of a foundation platform. The position of the altar is marked by a step at the northern end. The earliest reference to a chapel at this location is from a document of 1335 though the presence of a stone incised with a Latin cross dated to the 7th to 8th centuries now within the chapel and early reports of possible slab-lined graves are suggestive of an early medieval foundation. The chapel is traditionally held to mark the place where St. Non gave birth to St. David and will have been associated with pilgrim routes to St Davids. It is set towards the north of an early enclosure that may have originally served as chapel precinct, at its north east angle is St Non’s Well, medieval well head restored in 18th century.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of medieval Christianity. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments