This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8818 / 51°52'54"N
Longitude: -5.2692 / 5°16'9"W
OS Eastings: 175094
OS Northings: 225411
OS Grid: SM750254
Mapcode National: GBR C5.RPP3
Mapcode Global: VH0TD.MY7S
Entry Name: St Davids Cathedral Close: The Free School
Scheduled Date: 15 January 1992
Source ID: 685
Cadw Legacy ID: PE442
Schedule Class: Education
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The monument consists of a school. The remains of the Free School are incorporated into the churchyard wall on its west side. They consist of a vaulted undercroft extending 22m by 6½m within the churchyard where the rectangular footings of the upper storey can be seen. The Free School is first mentioned as a room built over the cathedral workshop in 1565.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation of education systems. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques. The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments