This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8826 / 51°52'57"N
Longitude: -5.2675 / 5°16'3"W
OS Eastings: 175214
OS Northings: 225500
OS Grid: SM752255
Mapcode National: GBR C5.RJ37
Mapcode Global: VH0TD.NY34
Entry Name: St Davids Cathedral Close: Vicar's College
Scheduled Date: 15 January 1992
Source ID: 2738
Cadw Legacy ID: PE441
Schedule Class: Education
Category: Religious house
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The monument consists of a religious house, a monastic house of unknown status, dating to the medieval period. The Vicar’s College stood in a paddock in the north-east corner of the Cathedral Close. Perhaps founded in 1287 by Bishop Bek and was reorganised by Bishop Houghtin in 1379. All the priests, deacons and sub-deacons of the lower chapter were to occupy separate houses with a communal refectory. After the Dissolution their use changed and efforts to repair them in 1693 failed. Recent maps show the site of the refectory but the individual houses show as small rectangular terraces within the paddock. The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval ecclesiastical organisation. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques. The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments