This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8796 / 51°52'46"N
Longitude: -5.2785 / 5°16'42"W
OS Eastings: 174444
OS Northings: 225198
OS Grid: SM744251
Mapcode National: GBR C5.RMD0
Mapcode Global: VH0TL.G0BX
Entry Name: Parc y Castell Mound and Bailey Castle
Source ID: 230
Cadw Legacy ID: PE108
Schedule Class: Defence
Category: Ringwork and bailey
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The monument comprises the remains of a well preserved castle-ringwork, which dates to the early part of the medieval period (c. AD 1066 - 1485), located 0.8 km to the west of St David's cathedral. The well preserved bank and ditch form a half circle on the accessible more gently sloping west side, the well preserved bailey bank and ditch is likewise only present on the west. There is no bank and ditch on the east, where the steep drop to the River Alun was considered adequate protection. The ringwork castle may have been constructed by Bishop Bernard, who was appointed in 1115. However, by 1200 the castle had been superseded by the present Bishop's Palace beside the cathedral.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval settlement, organisation and defence. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. It is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive. The scheduled area is an irregular polygon in shape, measuring approximately 165m NE – SW and 105m NW-SE.
Other nearby scheduled monuments