This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6297 / 51°37'47"N
Longitude: -3.8723 / 3°52'20"W
OS Eastings: 270507
OS Northings: 193986
OS Grid: SS705939
Mapcode National: GBR H0.8DQS
Mapcode Global: VH4KB.T9RG
Entry Name: St Margaret's Chapel
Source ID: 2289
Cadw Legacy ID: GM362
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Neath Port Talbot (Castell-nedd Port Talbot)
Community: Coedffranc (Coed-ffranc)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The monument comprises the remains of a small medieval chapel, the first record of which dates from 1289. It consists of the ruins of a stone building measuring about 25m east to west by 6.3m. The south wall stands to a height of 0.5m with breaks, the west wall is represented by a collapsed pile of rubble and the north and east walls survive as low lines of stone near ground level. Several pieces of moulded Sutton-stone are scattered around the site. Finds from excavations prior to 1931 included a stoup, part of a piscina, tiles, stained glass and parts of three female skeletons.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organization and practice of medieval Christianity. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong possibility of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments