This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.627 / 51°37'37"N
Longitude: -3.8269 / 3°49'36"W
OS Eastings: 273643
OS Northings: 193602
OS Grid: SS736936
Mapcode National: GBR H2.8L54
Mapcode Global: VH4KC.MC8L
Entry Name: Briton Ferry Dock Entrance
Scheduled Date: 23 May 1991
Source ID: 312
Cadw Legacy ID: GM445
Schedule Class: Maritime
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Neath Port Talbot (Castell-nedd Port Talbot)
Community: Briton Ferry (Llansawel)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The monument consists of a dockyard, an enclosure in which ships are built and repaired, and all sorts of ships' stores are brought together, dating to the industrial period. Briton Ferry Dock was built between 1858 and 1861 to designs by Isambard Kingdom Brunel. The dock was cut from the riverside marshes and banked in slag rubble with tipping staithes and cranes built out over the water. The entrance was in sandstone with a single gate which could be opened at high tide, and there was an outer tidal basin protected by 2 piers. Hydraulic power was provided from an engine house at the north end of the dock to an accumulator tower near the entrance
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of industrial or modern maritime economy and transport. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. A dockyard may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments