This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.618 / 51°37'4"N
Longitude: -4.2564 / 4°15'22"W
OS Eastings: 243885
OS Northings: 193434
OS Grid: SS438934
Mapcode National: GBR GR.0TMB
Mapcode Global: VH3MP.5LPH
Entry Name: St Madoc's Church cross-incised stones
Scheduled Date: 10 February 1953
Source ID: 136
Cadw Legacy ID: GM223
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period: Early Medieval
County: Swansea (Abertawe)
Community: Llangennith, Llanmadoc and Cheriton (Llangynydd, Llanmadog a Cheriton)
Built-Up Area: Llanmadoc
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The monument comprises the remains of two early medieval cross-incised stones, which probably date to the seventh to ninth centuries AD. Both were first noted in the churchyard in 1864 and are now displayed in separate recesses at the W end of the nave of St Madoc’s Church. Item A is a cross-carved stone. It is carved from sandstone and measures 1.55m in height, 0.5m in width and 0.14m in thickness. Roughly dressed into the shape of a cross, the stone features an incised linear cross at its head that measures 0.22m in height and 0.18m in width. Item B is a fragment of a pillar stone with two incised crosses. It is carved from sandstone and measures 0.61m in height, 0.53m in width and 0.47m in depth. The principal face features an equal-armed cross-crosslet with an elongated lower arm and ringed intersection. The upper face features an incomplete Latin cross with cross-bars on the horizontal arms. It is proposed that the scheduled area be revised so that it corresponds more accurately with the location of the monument.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the early medieval period in Wales (c. AD 400 – 1100) for which this class of monument forms one of the most important sources of evidence. It forms an important element within the wider early medieval landscape, providing important evidence for this formative period of Welsh history, particularly concerning the origins and evolution of Christianity, the development of stylistic traditions and carved stone production.
The area to be scheduled comprises the remains described. It is rectangular in shape on plan and measures 2m N-S by 1m transversely.
Other nearby scheduled monuments