This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9478 / 51°56'52"N
Longitude: -3.3727 / 3°22'21"W
OS Eastings: 305751
OS Northings: 228592
OS Grid: SO057285
Mapcode National: GBR YQ.MD1H
Mapcode Global: VH6BZ.H9CN
Entry Name: St Eluned's Chapel and Well
Scheduled Date: 28 October 1997
Source ID: 3880
Cadw Legacy ID: BR236
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Community: Brecon (Aberhonddu)
Built-Up Area: Brecon
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The monument comprises the remains of a small medieval religious complex. The remains include a series of four rectangular terraced platforms, running NW/SE along a ridge. The chapel itself was probably located on the easternmost of the platforms, which is 24m long. The other three platforms are smaller and may be outbuildings or domestic buildings associated with the chapel and shrine. The buildings were probably approached by a hollow way from the E. A well traditionally associated with the site it situated to the north-east, and is consists of masonry walling and paving. St Eluned was a daughter of a Brychan prince of Brecheiniog, and was apparently martyred at the chapel, her decapitated head coming to rest downhill where the well sprang into being. The chapel was the site of pilgrimage in the medieval period and is first mentioned in 1152 when its grant to the Prior of Brecon by Bernard, Bishop of Brecon, is confirmed by his successor David. The chapel fell into ruin after the dissolution, although walls were still standing in 1698 and Colt Hoare records the vestiges of buildings on the site at the beginning of the 19th century.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of medieval Christianity. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments