This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.783 / 51°46'58"N
Longitude: -3.2436 / 3°14'37"W
OS Eastings: 314307
OS Northings: 210101
OS Grid: SO143101
Mapcode National: GBR YW.YVD3
Mapcode Global: VH6CT.QGL0
Entry Name: Sirhowy Ironworks, Site of
Scheduled Date: 13 August 1973
Source ID: 569
Cadw Legacy ID: MM185
Schedule Class: Industrial
Category: Industrial monument
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Blaenau Gwent
Built-Up Area: Tredegar
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The monument comprises the remains of several buildings related to the production of iron. The Sirhowy Ironworks were established in 1778, and between 1794 and 1818 they were operated by William Borrow, Rev. Matthew Monkhouse and Richard Fothergill. In 1818 the works were acquired by James Harford (Harford, Partridge and Co. of Ebbw Vale) and operated as part of the Ebbw Vale Ironworks. In 1844 the works were bought by Abraham Darby and Co., at which point there were five furnaces in operation. The works developed under the new owners and innovations, such as hot blasting, resulted in the redesigning of the site and the construction of a huge freestanding furnace that towered above the existing structures. The ironworks closed down in 1882 but the site continued to produce coke for Ebbw Vale until 1905. The remains of the ironworks are located on the E side of the modern town and were built into a steep W-facing slope. They consist of 3 barrel vaulted arches, the S much larger than the others, which formed part of the retaining wall against which the early furnaces were built, the base and ‘bear’ from the large freestanding furnace, and the remains of a late 19th century furnace at the S end of the site. Above the remains of the furnaces are the footings and other infrastructure from the charging houses and calcining ovens.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance and illustrate our knowledge and understanding of the development of the iron industry. An ironworks may be part of a larger industrial complex and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments