This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9842 / 52°59'3"N
Longitude: -3.3943 / 3°23'39"W
OS Eastings: 306489
OS Northings: 343897
OS Grid: SJ064438
Mapcode National: GBR 6N.J3YR
Mapcode Global: WH780.T8V1
Entry Name: Rug Chapel
Source ID: 3226
Cadw Legacy ID: ME089
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Denbighshire (Sir Ddinbych)
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The monument consists of a private chapel built in AD1637, and its surrounding gardens. The exterior details of the building date largely from Sir Robert Vaughan’s restoration of 1854-5, during which the windows and bell-tower were remodelled. However, the original ‘high church’ interior survives virtually untouched, and includes a carved and painted hammer beam roof with original colour, coloured dado panelling, and original wooden chandelier hanging from the central truss. The richly carved pews are original seventeenth century constructions, and there is an unusual seventeenth century wall-painting displaying death, towards the northeast of the nave.
The monument is of national importance as a rare example of an Anglican church whose fixtures and fittings survived the Victorian Gothic revival of the 1840s.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.