This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9712 / 52°58'16"N
Longitude: -3.3959 / 3°23'45"W
OS Eastings: 306354
OS Northings: 342449
OS Grid: SJ063424
Mapcode National: GBR 6N.JX5L
Mapcode Global: WH780.TL22
Entry Name: Llangar Old Parish Church & Churchyard
Source ID: 540
Cadw Legacy ID: ME093
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Denbighshire (Sir Ddinbych)
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The monument consists of a stone-built church and its associated churchyard, with elements dating to the medieval period (possibly 13th century or earlier). The building consists of a continuous nave and chancel with a small porch and west bellcote. A medieval font is set into the wall by the south door. Date stones built into the walls indicate rebuilding between AD1615 and 1620, and the addition of the porch in 1617. The west wall, along with part of the north and south walls was rebuilt after 1656. The building was largely restored during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The churchyard appears to have been originally curvilinear, although its north and east boundaries are now straight. The boundary wall and lych gate date to the restoration works of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
The monument is of national importance as a fine example of a medieval and post-medieval church untouched by Victorian restoration. It retains exceptional medieval wall-paintings, along with a rare and complete arrangement of eighteenth century furnishings.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments