This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9424 / 52°56'32"N
Longitude: -3.782 / 3°46'55"W
OS Eastings: 280345
OS Northings: 339817
OS Grid: SH803398
Mapcode National: GBR 64.LRRJ
Mapcode Global: WH66W.W96N
Entry Name: Pont Tai-Hirion Old Bridge
Source ID: 543
Cadw Legacy ID: ME028
Schedule Class: Transport
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
Traditional County: Merionethshire
A bridge over the Afon Tai-Hirion, about 90m WNW of the present Pont Tai-Hirion. It is known as 'the Roman Bridge' or 'Borrow's Bridge', but probably dates to the Elizabethan period (1558–1603). It is 2.9m wide and has a single arch spanning 5m resting on vertical piers built of large boulders. It has a single arch-ring, the keystones of which are visible across the top of the bridge. On the E side three large parapet stones remain on the N side of the river. These probably once ran all along both sides but have been removed for walling or have fallen into the stream. The (disused) track crossing the field from the modern road to the bridge crosses a boggy area, and there is stone edging visible which forms a sort of causeway.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of post-medieval transport. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments