This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0343 / 52°2'3"N
Longitude: -4.3984 / 4°23'54"W
OS Eastings: 235578
OS Northings: 240035
OS Grid: SN355400
Mapcode National: GBR DB.FX90
Mapcode Global: VH3KN.Q43B
Entry Name: Pont Henllan Pillbox
Scheduled Date: 19 January 2011
Source ID: 1292
Cadw Legacy ID: CM375
Schedule Class: Defence
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
Community: Llandyfriog (Llandyfrïog)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The monument consists of an anti-invasion pillbox, dating to the early period of World War II (AD 1940-41), that formed part of Western Command's Carmarthen Stop Line, which ran south from Llangeler via Carmarthen to the mouth of the Afon Tywi. The pillbox is built on the edge of a north-facing bank overlooking the junction of the A484 trunk road with the B4334 and a minor road to Drefach. The pillbox faces north to defend the strategically important Pont Henllan road bridge over the Afon Teifi. The concrete pillbox is built to the standard bulletproof FW3/24 design. The pillbox measures 2.85m in height, 4.6m in length (east to west) and 3.95m transversely. The walls measure 0.38m in thickness and the entrance faces south.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of World War II anti-invasion practices. The monument is well preserved and possesses important group value with other scheduled pillboxes along the stop line including those at Ty Cwm Tawel (CM372) and Cynwyl Elfed (CM374). The pillbox is notable for its excellent condition, including retention of part of the original paint scheme, together with interior and exterior architectural fittings. It is an important relic of actions taken against the perceived threat of a German invasion from Ireland. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits.
The area scheduled comprises the remains described and around within which related evidence may be expected to survive. It is circular and measures 15m in diameter.
Other nearby scheduled monuments