This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0286 / 52°1'43"N
Longitude: -4.3526 / 4°21'9"W
OS Eastings: 238696
OS Northings: 239305
OS Grid: SN386393
Mapcode National: GBR DD.G90X
Mapcode Global: VH3KP.H8SP
Entry Name: Pentre-Cwrt Pillbox
Scheduled Date: 14 January 2008
Source ID: 1245
Cadw Legacy ID: CD260
Schedule Class: Defence
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
Community: Llandyfriog (Llandyfrïog)
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
The monument consists of a reinforced concrete pillbox, dating to the early period of World War II (AD 1940-41). The pillbox is located in a field of pasture at NGR SN 38699 39304. It was sited on high ground and faces SSW over the Pont Allt-y-Cafan across the Afon Teifi, to the E of the Carmarthen Stop-Line. The pillbox is built to standard War Office FW3/24 'bullet proof' specifications, possessing seven narrow splay embrasures. It is an irregular hexagon in shape on plan and measures c. 4.62m in length WNW-ESE by 3.83m transversely and a maximum of 2.8m in height externally. The concrete foundation raft is visible on the E side and projects 0.3m beyond the exterior wall faces. The walls measure 0.4m in thickness. The internal anti-ricochet wall survives and retains the pillbox's number (No. 71) painted at the doorway. The latter is a rare survival.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of World War II anti-invasion practices. The monument is well preserved. It is an important relic of actions taken against the perceived threat of a German invasion from Ireland. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and an area around within which related evidence may be expected to survive. The scheduled area is circular and measures 15m in diameter.
Other nearby scheduled monuments