This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0359 / 52°2'9"N
Longitude: -4.3953 / 4°23'43"W
OS Eastings: 235794
OS Northings: 240206
OS Grid: SN357402
Mapcode National: GBR DB.FY4L
Mapcode Global: VH3KN.R3Q3
Entry Name: Defended Enclosure 250m NE of Pont Henllan
Scheduled Date: 25 February 2009
Source ID: 1289
Cadw Legacy ID: CD276
Schedule Class: Defence
Category: Promontory Fort - inland
Community: Llandyfriog (Llandyfrïog)
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
The monument comprises the remains of a defended enclosure, which probably dates to the Iron Age period (c. 800 BC - AD 43). It is located on a promontory overlooking the confluence of the River Teifi and a small tributary to the E. The enclosure is triangular in shape and measures 100m N-S by 90m transversely. The site is defended naturally by steep slopes to the E and S and by a curvilinear bank and ditch to the N and W, with a simple entrance at the S end. The bank measures 125m in length, 0.5m in height and 12m in width. Traces of an external ditch survive. A second, but shorter length of bank lies parallel to the NW. Beyond the rampart is an outer annexe, which measures 50m in breadth. It is defined by a bank and ditch on the W side and of similar proportions to the inner rampart. It possesses an inturned entrance at its S end. The site was part-excavated in c. 1940 and revealed evidence of four round houses within the interior, together with occupation surfaces and artefactual evidence. A palisade fence also surmounted the promontory's steep slopes.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of later prehistoric defensive organisation and settlement. The site forms an important element within the wider later prehistoric context and within the surrounding landscape. Excavation has revealed the site to be well preserved and to retain considerable further archaeological evidence relating to chronology, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and an area around within which related evidence may be expected to survive. It is roughly triangular in shape on plan and measures 165m (N-S) by 150m transversely.
Other nearby scheduled monuments