This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.236 / 53°14'9"N
Longitude: -4.2809 / 4°16'51"W
OS Eastings: 247867
OS Northings: 373419
OS Grid: SH478734
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.04L9
Mapcode Global: WH42V.6XQM
Entry Name: Old Parish Church & Churchyard
Source ID: 2521
Cadw Legacy ID: AN052
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Môn)
Community: Llanfihangel Ysgeifiog
The present remains are situated on the E side of a polygonal, almost circular, churchyard, and represent a 15th C chancel and a N chapel added in 1638. The nave and a south chapel have not survived. The principal architectural details remaining are the re-set 15th C doorway in the W wall of the chancel, and the late 16th C window in the E wall of the chancel. The N chapel contains two three-light windows. A cross-incised gravestone of 7th - 11th C date lies on the floor of the chancel.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of Medieval ecclesiastical buildings. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structures themselves may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.
Other nearby scheduled monuments