This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7795 / 51°46'46"N
Longitude: -3.0974 / 3°5'50"W
OS Eastings: 324386
OS Northings: 209555
OS Grid: SO243095
Mapcode National: GBR F2.Z2BB
Mapcode Global: VH79C.8JCN
Entry Name: Old Coal Pits, Blaenavon
Scheduled Date: 12 September 2000
Source ID: 3980
Cadw Legacy ID: MM293
Schedule Class: Industrial
Category: Air Shaft
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Torfaen (Tor-faen)
Community: Blaenavon (Blaenafon)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The monument consists of two air shafts, probably dating to the 18th century. They are two of the oldest colliery shafts in the Blaenavon Ironworks mineral field. The Old Coal Pits shafts were recorded as existing by 1812 and may date from the 1790s. They worked the Old Coal Seam and by 1829 were connected to the Upper River Row Drift. From 1863 they ventilated the workings of Cinder Pit. In their earlier phase, Old Coal Pits are believed to have been wound by water power, and the now dry reservoir lies to the north west. They were probably driven by waterwheel rather than a water-balance. The shafts are lined in stone within a few feet of the top, above which they are brick, and are understood to be over 70m deep.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance and illustrate our knowledge and understanding of the development of the mining industry in Wales. It retains significant archaeological potential, with the strong possibility of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. An air shaft may be part of a larger cluster of industrial monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value. The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments