Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

New Radnor Medieval Town: South West Quadrant

A Scheduled Monument in New Radnor (Maesyfed), Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2393 / 52°14'21"N

Longitude: -3.1561 / 3°9'21"W

OS Eastings: 321152

OS Northings: 260749

OS Grid: SO211607

Mapcode National: GBR YZ.15RC

Mapcode Global: VH69K.7ZV8

Entry Name: New Radnor Medieval Town: South West Quadrant

Scheduled Date: 9 September 1997

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 3874

Cadw Legacy ID: RD154

Schedule Class: Civil

Category: Town

Period: Medieval

County: Powys

Community: New Radnor (Maesyfed)

Traditional County: Radnorshire

Description

The monument comprises the southwestern quadrant of the well-preserved remains of New Radnor medieval town. New Radnor itself comprises the earthwork remains of a castle (RD033), with ditches and banks forming further defences and the bailey; and the remains of a defensive town bank containing the present town (RD050), both of which preserve the original town plan. Scheduled areas within the town defences comprise an area within the northwestern quadrant (RD0152) and this one within the south western quadrant (RD154).

The first historical mention of Radnor is in Domesday, which records that 'The King holds Radrenoue' - and a charter of c. 1096 grants 'Raddenoam' to Philip de Braose. The castle of New Radnor was likely built in the 12th century and is recorded as having been destroyed by the Welsh on several occasions in the early 13th century. A grant of murage (permission to build town defences) was given to Roger Mortimer in 1257 and presumably relates to the construction of the town walls. The planned town of New Radnor was probably laid out in the late 13th century; its initial growth was rapid, with up to 189 burgesses (townsmen) recorded in 1304. However, after Owain Glyndwr's forces captured the town and castle in 1402, the castle was left to decay and the medieval town went into decline.

The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval urban life. The monument forms an important element within the wider medieval context and the area itself may be expected to contain archaeological information in regard to chronology, building techniques and functional detail. Archaeological investigation within the scheduled area have indicated the survival of well-preserved and stratified deposits relating to the medieval street frontage. The scheduled area comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.

Source: Cadw

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.