This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7629 / 51°45'46"N
Longitude: -3.4035 / 3°24'12"W
OS Eastings: 303238
OS Northings: 208072
OS Grid: SO032080
Mapcode National: GBR HM.04MC
Mapcode Global: VH6CQ.YYLD
Entry Name: Nant Crew Inscribed Stone (now in Cefn Coed Church)
Source ID: 1776
Cadw Legacy ID: BR145
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Category: Standing stone
Period: Early Medieval
County: Merthyr Tydfil (Merthyr Tudful)
Community: Vaynor (Y Faenor)
Built-Up Area: Merthyr Tydfil
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The monument comprises the remains of a standing stone, which probably dates to the Bronze Age (c. 2300 - 800 BC). The pillar stone is about 5 ft high and square in section. Each face is approximately 1 ft wide at the base, tapering to 9 ins at top. The west face has a Latin inscription and the north face has an incised cross on it. Three holes have been made in it for use as a gatepost. It is located about 300 yds north/north-west of where the Nant Crew enters the reservoir.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of prehistoric burial and ritual practices. It is an important relic of a prehistoric funerary and ritual landscape and retains significant archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of intact burial or ritual deposits, together with environmental and structural evidence. Standing stones are often part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments