Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moel-y-Gaer Camp

A Scheduled Monument in Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd, Denbighshire (Sir Ddinbych)

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1461 / 53°8'45"N

Longitude: -3.2742 / 3°16'27"W

OS Eastings: 314872

OS Northings: 361749

OS Grid: SJ148617

Mapcode National: GBR 6T.5WNV

Mapcode Global: WH779.P51Z

Entry Name: Moel-y-Gaer Camp

Scheduled Date:

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 193

Cadw Legacy ID: DE010

Schedule Class: Defence

Category: Hillfort

Period: Prehistoric

County: Denbighshire (Sir Ddinbych)

Community: Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Description

The monument comprises the remains of a hillfort, which dates to the Iron Age period (c. 800 BC - AD 74, the Roman conquest of Wales). Hillforts are usually located on hilltops and surrounded by a single or multiple earthworks of massive proportions. Hillforts must have formed symbols of power within the landscape, while their function may have had as much to do with ostentation and display as defence.

Moel y Gaer is located upon a spur of Moel Famau that towers above the Vale of Clwyd. The fort is roughly oval, about 200m north-south by 180m with an area of 2.7ha. The fort is enclosed by two lines of ramparts separated by a ditch. The outer rampart is a massive drystone construction and the inner rampart is probably a similar construction. There are outworks on the north and north-east, where the fort faces onto a narrow neck joining the main mountain massif. These consists of a ditch and an external bank of simple dump construction. There may have been a drystone rampart within the ditch: a mass of tumbled stone sealing a single sherd of Roman pottery was found in the ditch in 1849. There are two entrances both with prominent 15m deep in-turns. The western entrances opens onto headlong slopes, whilst the eastern opens onto the neck. Here the corresponding openings in the outer ramparts and ditches are offset, creating a zigzag approach. The interior is uneven. Thirteen circular building platforms have been recorded. These would have held great thatched roundhouses.

The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of later prehistoric defensive organisation and settlement. The site forms an important element within the wider later prehistoric context and within the surrounding landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, building techniques and functional detail.

The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.

Source: Cadw

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.