This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1151 / 53°6'54"N
Longitude: -3.3108 / 3°18'38"W
OS Eastings: 312361
OS Northings: 358350
OS Grid: SJ123583
Mapcode National: GBR 6S.7L8Q
Mapcode Global: WH779.3YPR
Entry Name: Ruthin Churchyard Ornamental Wrought Iron Gates & Screen
Source ID: 2323
Cadw Legacy ID: DE159
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Denbighshire (Sir Ddinbych)
Community: Ruthin (Rhuthun)
Built-Up Area: Ruthin
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The monument consists of a pair of gates.
The wrought iron gates are scrolled and partly gilded, and were made in 1728 by Davies Bros of Bersham (also responsible for Chirk Castle and Erddig Hall gates). The gates were restored in 1929.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of entrance architecture. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques. Gates may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments