Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Medieval Tower at Hanbury Arms

A Scheduled Monument in Caerleon (Caerllion), Newport (Casnewydd)

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6083 / 51°36'29"N

Longitude: -2.9521 / 2°57'7"W

OS Eastings: 334166

OS Northings: 190371

OS Grid: ST341903

Mapcode National: GBR J7.9XVG

Mapcode Global: VH7B6.ST7Y

Entry Name: Medieval Tower at Hanbury Arms

Scheduled Date:

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 2967

Cadw Legacy ID: MM037

Schedule Class: Monument

Category: Tower

Period: Medieval

County: Newport (Casnewydd)

Community: Caerleon (Caerllion)

Built-Up Area: Caerleon

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Description

The monument consists of a tower of medieval date. It comprises a circular tower of roughly squared sandstone rubble with a battered base. Three arrow slits are framed in neater squared limestone blocks. There is also a larger rectangular opening, now headless, of unknown purpose, but this does face the river. The tower is about 4.5m in height. The tower is truncated, though probably not by much, and roofless. It adjoins the south west corner of The Hanbury Arms and is attached to it. The tower was possibly built around 1219, by the historic quay of Caerleon and near to the site of the old bridge. It could well be a chain tower for controlling access to the upper river, but, if so, there is no longer any relic or record of its necessary twin on the left bank. It might also be the one surviving tower of the outer bailey of Caerleon Castle. The tower was considered to be Roman in 1758 and, at that time, was depicted with a pronounced lean, but this is no longer in evidence. It was in use as a lock-up at this time while The Hanbury Arms housed the Magistrate's Court.

The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of construction techniques. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.

The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.

Source: Cadw

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.