This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6098 / 51°36'35"N
Longitude: -2.9508 / 2°57'2"W
OS Eastings: 334257
OS Northings: 190535
OS Grid: ST342905
Mapcode National: GBR J7.9Y6L
Mapcode Global: VH7B6.SSXS
Entry Name: Caerleon Castle Mound
Source ID: 538
Cadw Legacy ID: MM014
Schedule Class: Defence
County: Newport (Casnewydd)
Community: Caerleon (Caerllion)
Built-Up Area: Caerleon
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The monument comprises the remains of a motte and bailey castle, a military stronghold built during the medieval period. The Castle of Caerleon was in existence before 1086, when the Domesday Survey refers to land in the ‘castley of Caerleon’, and was probably founded during the Norman advance from Chepstow led by William Fitz Osborne and his son between 1067 and 1075. It is a motte and bailey of typical Norman construction, occupying the area between the river crossing and the SE defences of the Roman fortress. The motte, known locally as ‘The Mynde’, partly overlies the SE wall of the fort (identified during the excavation of a tunnel into the motte in 1878), with the bailey extending SW towards the Roman porta praetorian (SE gate). The entrance to the bailey was on the S side, at the point where the medieval bridge crossing the river Usk met the bailey defences, and it marked by the remains of one of the 13th century angle towers located immediately adjacent to the Hanbury Arms. Excavations in 1848 revealed that the bailey overlies the site of a Roman extra-mural bathhouse. The motte was surmounted by a massive stone structure, probably a shell keep, which was recorded by several early antiquaries. This collapsed in the 18th century and all the stone was removed from the site. The keep was accessed by a flight of stairs up the side of the motte, which was guarded at the base by a twin towered gatehouse, part of which is still visible.
In the early 12th century the castle was held by Robert de Chandos but later passed to the Welsh lord of Caerleon Iorwerth ap Owain, He continued to hold it, except for an interruption in 1171-3, when it was seized by Henry II, until his death. In 1217 William Marshal the Elder seized it from Iorwerth’s grandson, Morgan ap Howel, in the crisis following the death of King John. Morgan sued Marshal in the King’s Court for the return of his castle and while the court adjudged that he was the rightful owner he stood little chance of recovering his property from the powerful Marshal's. His fight to regain the castle continued into the 1230s, however, Morgan and his family never recovered Caerleon. In 1245, following the death of William Marshal’s youngest son the Marshal lands were divided and Caerleon passed to the de Clare's. Subsequently the castle passed, through Richard Duke of York, to Edward IV’s daughter Elizabeth, wife of Henry VII, after which it was granted to William Herbert of Raglan. The Herbert's still held it in 1622 when it was described ‘decayed and utterly ruinated’.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval defensive organisation. The well-preserved monument forms an important element within the wider medieval context and the structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information relating to chronology, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments