This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8315 / 51°49'53"N
Longitude: -2.8783 / 2°52'41"W
OS Eastings: 339576
OS Northings: 215129
OS Grid: SO395151
Mapcode National: GBR FC.VW41
Mapcode Global: VH799.2779
Entry Name: Hen Gwrt Moated Site
Source ID: 2980
Cadw Legacy ID: MM094
Schedule Class: Domestic
Category: Moated Site
County: Monmouthshire (Sir Fynwy)
Community: Llantilio Crossenny (Llandeilo Gresynni)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The monument comprises the remains of a well-preserved medieval moated homestead. The site comprises a roughly square level area of ground measuring 38m by 38m, surrounded by a flat bottomed moat between 6m and 10m wide and around 1m deep. A low bank is visible on the external edge of the moat, and a platform extends from the edge of the moat to the Park Farm stream on the north-western side of the site. This platform is around 30m wide and up to 1.2m higher than the level of the surrounding land, and is thought to have been built from material derived from the digging of the moat. Excavations carried out on the site in 1957 revealed that the structures built on the island had been systamatically robbed in the post-medieval period, probably during the building of Llantilio Court in 1775. Nevertheless, the excavation results together with a plan made in about 1820 have revealed the presence of at least two buildings, a small medieval (14th century) one on the southern side of the island and a larger post-medieval one on the northern side.
When Llantilio Crossenny belonged to the Bishops of Llandaff, Hen Gwrt is likely to have been a manor house. Finds evidence indicates that the site had been occupied since the early 13th century, with the moat dug around 100 years later, possibly around an existing building. There was a wooden bridge across the moat on the east side, timbers from which were revealed during the excavation. Occupation continued into the 14th century, when a possible kitchen building was built on the southern side of the island, but by the 15th century the building was in agricultural use. In the 16th century the site was occupied again when it was owned by the Herberts of Raglan Castle. The site lay within their deer park, which extended northwards to White Castle, and it is probable that the building erected (or converted from an earlier medieval structure) on the island was a hunting lodge. At this time the building on the southern side of the island was levelled, and a wall was built to enclose the whole of the interior of the island.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval settlement. The monument is well preserved and is an important relic of the medieval landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of intact archaeological deposits and structural evidence.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments