This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2809 / 53°16'51"N
Longitude: -4.1579 / 4°9'28"W
OS Eastings: 256225
OS Northings: 378160
OS Grid: SH562781
Mapcode National: GBR JN30.VJN
Mapcode Global: WH53V.3S9P
Entry Name: Hafoty Old Farm House
Source ID: 2538
Cadw Legacy ID: AN097
Schedule Class: Domestic
Category: House (domestic)
County: Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Môn)
Community: Cwm Cadnant
Traditional County: Anglesey
The monument comprises the remains of a medieval house, probably dating to the 14th century. The house has two storeys and a semi-basement and is H-shaped in plan. It contains a central hall and flanking wings with solar, kitchen, buttery etc. In the 16th century the fireplace chimney stack in the hall was added and various alterations were made in the 17th century. Hafoty was the home of Henry Norris, Constable of Beaumaris in 1535.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval settlement and domestic activity. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques. A house may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments