This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2655 / 53°15'55"N
Longitude: -4.1825 / 4°10'56"W
OS Eastings: 254535
OS Northings: 376501
OS Grid: SH545765
Mapcode National: GBR JN12.8WP
Mapcode Global: WH540.Q5JX
Entry Name: Hendrefor Earthwork
Source ID: 3271
Cadw Legacy ID: AN075
Schedule Class: Monument
County: Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Môn)
Community: Cwm Cadnant
Traditional County: Anglesey
A rectangular enclosure surrounded by a ditch between two banks, possibly dating to the Iron Age or Romano-British period (c.800BC to AD400). It is situated in a low-lying marshy field. The outer bank is clearly visible on the corners, but tends to disappear between. The inner bank has survived to a height of 0.1 m along its length, and higher at the corners; it is 3 - 4 m wide. There is an 8 m wide gap in the banks on the NE side which probably represents the entrance. The interior measures 50 m by 40 m where a low, near-circular mound roughly 10m across may represent a roundhouse site.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of Iron Age or Romano-British defence and settlement. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments