This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3116 / 53°18'41"N
Longitude: -4.2317 / 4°13'54"W
OS Eastings: 251414
OS Northings: 381727
OS Grid: SH514817
Mapcode National: GBR HMXY.JCG
Mapcode Global: WH42N.Z123
Entry Name: Glyn, Burial Chamber 450m N of
Scheduled Date: 21 August 2006
Source ID: 1188
Cadw Legacy ID: AN154
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Category: Burial Chamber
County: Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Môn)
Built-Up Area: Benllech
Traditional County: Anglesey
The monument comprises the remains of a burial chamber, probably dating to the Neolithic (c. 4,400 - 2,900 BC). It is located in an enclosed field of pasture on a gentle SE-facing slope at the edge of a limestone terrace. The construction is unusual as the capstone appears to have been levered from the bedrock and propped up by low stones at its outer edge. The capstone has broken into three pieces and rests above a partially collapsed chamber. The capstone measures c. 4.6m long, up to 2.8m wide and 0.8m thick. It is aligned E-W. The central section stands to a height of 1.4m. A slight rise in the ground around the burial chamber represents the remains of the covering mound. It is circular and measures c. 14m in diameter. Part of the chamber was excavated in 1909.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of prehistoric burial and ritual practices. The burial chamber is an important relic of a prehistoric funerary and ritual landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential and there is a strong probability of the presence of burial, ritual or structural evidence. The monument's importance is further enhanced by its unusual construction and its proximity to Benllech Megalith (SAM number AN094), which is located c. 850m NW.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive. It is circular and measures 25m in diameter.
Other nearby scheduled monuments