This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1798 / 52°10'47"N
Longitude: -3.9556 / 3°57'20"W
OS Eastings: 266385
OS Northings: 255309
OS Grid: SN663553
Mapcode National: GBR DX.4ZCT
Mapcode Global: VH4GL.DG6T
Entry Name: Four Inscribed Stones in Church
Source ID: 1851
Cadw Legacy ID: CD047
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Category: Inscribed stone
Period: Early Medieval
Community: Llanddewi Brefi (Llanddewibrefi)
Built-Up Area: Llanddewi Brefi
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
The monument consists of four inscribed stones situated within a church. An inscribed stone is a commemorative monument in the form of a stone which has been inscribed with symbols, probably dating to the medieval period.
Stone A is a pillar stone, 2.5m high, now the more easterly of two stones on the south side of the crossing inside the church. It bears a cross and inscription: CENLISINI BT DS (BENEDICAT DEUS) probably dating to the 9th century [Nash-Williams no.120;Edwards CD13].
Stone B is the westernmost of three stones on the north side of the crossing inside the church. It is 1.0m high, and 0.3m by 0.1m in section, with a neatly picked linear cross, with the top limb crossleted. It has been dated to the 7th-9th century. It also has what has been suggested to be a single score of an ogham inscription - M, representing MAQUI (son) [Nash-Williams no.117; Edwards CD10].
Stone C is now the more westerly of the two stones on the south side of the crossing within the church. It is 1.5m high, 0.5m to 0.6m wide, and 0.1m thick, with a shaped rounded head. It has a coarsely cut Latin cross with bifid scrolled foot and trifid arm-ends. It has been dated to the 7th-9th century [Nash-Williams no.118; Edwards CD11].
Stone D now occupies the middle position on the north side of the church crossing. It is a rough pillar-stone 1.1m high, 0.4m by 0.1m in section, with a worn inscription in debased Roman capitals running in two lines down its length: D]ALLVS . / DVMELVS. The letters have been very deeply and coarsely cut, with a half-uncial S and rounded angles to the V's and M's. Dumelus is an Irish name and the stone can be dated to the 6th century [Nash-Williams no.115; Edwards CD8].
The fifth stone in the church is Nash-Williams no.119, Edwards CD12, which is 2.0m high, 0.15-0.20m wide, increasing to 0.3m at the base, and 0.2m thick, carved with a roughly picked linear cross potent (one arm wanting) with a deep central sunk dot.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of medieval Christianity. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. An inscribed stone may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments