This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0222 / 53°1'19"N
Longitude: -4.079 / 4°4'44"W
OS Eastings: 260653
OS Northings: 349231
OS Grid: SH606492
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.FRN1
Mapcode Global: WH557.99WG
Entry Name: Dinas Emrys Camp
Source ID: 295
Cadw Legacy ID: CN018
Schedule Class: Defence
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
A fort on a small hill at the S end of Nant Gwynant. The site was excavated in 1910 by C E Breese and again in 1954-56 by H N Savory.
The present remains consist of a ruinous wall encircling the hill top, with some outer works at the W end; the foundations of a square stone tower; and slight remains beside a pool. The dating of the remains is not conclusive, although late Prehistoric, Roman, sub-Roman and Mediaeval periods would appear to be represented.
The encircling wall is not an impressive feature, surviving as a grass-covered stone bank varying between 1.0 and 2.5 m wide and 0.5 m high. At the W entrance the wall is 3 m wide and 1.2 m high. About 40 m below the entrance is another length of walling 40 m long, with an entrance centrally placed. 75 m below this is a further short length of ruinous wall blocking the access up the hill.
The square tower, assumed to be Mediaeval, has walls 1.2 m wide, 1.0 m high from the outside and 2.0 m high from the inside. There is a good inner face on the E and W sides. The interior of the tower measures 9.75 m by 7 m. An ash tree is growing on the W wall.
Immediately S of the tower is a precipitous drop down to the remains of the pool. Between the base of the cliff and the pool is a modern sheepfold. The pool is visible as a marshy area, overgrown with rushes, and with stones set around the NE side. It overflows through a narrow rivulet on the SW side.
On the N and S sides of the hill, outside the inner rampart, are remains of terraced walling. These are fragmentary and overgrown, but still visible. The round hut shown on the RCAHMW plan was not identifiable.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of Roman settlement and defence. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structures themselves may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments