This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9857 / 52°59'8"N
Longitude: -4.1282 / 4°7'41"W
OS Eastings: 257232
OS Northings: 345275
OS Grid: SH572452
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.HZN8
Mapcode Global: WH55D.K6FW
Entry Name: Gorseddau Slate Quarry
Scheduled Date: 12 October 1998
Source ID: 3963
Cadw Legacy ID: CN303
Schedule Class: Transport
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The monument consists of a slateworks, dating to the 19th century. It was developed with considerable capital according to the best practice of the day, but failed to find a good slate vein and was not subsequently redeveloped or worked over.
A small quarry at Gorseddau was offered for sale in 1836, but it began to develop in 1854 under the ownership of Robert Gill and John Harris and with the arrival of the German mining engineer Henry Tobias Tschudy von Uster. The quarry was opened out on the gallery system first developed at Penrhyn Quarry, whereby a spinal counter-balance incline connected a sequence of terraces from the top of the quarry to the bottom. Each terrace contained a quarry gallery, rubble tips, slate trimming sheds, and trimming waste tips beyond. The quarry was served by its own railway to its magnificent slab mill at Ynys y Pandy (scheduled as Gorseddau Slate Factory CN160) and thence to Porthmadog. A village for the quarry workers, Treforys, was built nearby. It was said of the quarry, everything that could facilitate the works was produced
Other nearby scheduled monuments