This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3057 / 53°18'20"N
Longitude: -4.0568 / 4°3'24"W
OS Eastings: 263048
OS Northings: 380728
OS Grid: SH630807
Mapcode National: GBR 0Z36.JP
Mapcode Global: WH53W.N5DL
Entry Name: Cross in Penmon Priory
Source ID: 3266
Cadw Legacy ID: AN063
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period: Early Medieval
County: Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Môn)
Traditional County: Anglesey
The monument consists of a medieval cross. Its base, shaft and head, are all highly ornamented and all date to approximately 1000 AD. There is a tradition that the stone originally stood close to Penmon Priory Church. It would have been located close to the boundary of Penmon Park. It was removed from its historical site and brought within the church in 1977. Excavation on the site demonstated that it had been underpinned with a concrete raft in 1926. It is thought that the cross was once taller with an extra section between the head and present shaft.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval religious practices. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.