This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8957 / 51°53'44"N
Longitude: -3.0493 / 3°2'57"W
OS Eastings: 327892
OS Northings: 222427
OS Grid: SO278224
Mapcode National: GBR F4.QN8M
Mapcode Global: VH78T.3M93
Entry Name: Churchyard Cross, St Issau's Church
Source ID: 1794
Cadw Legacy ID: BR172
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Community: The Vale of Grwyney (Cwm Grwyne)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The monument consists of a free standing cross probably dating to the medieval period. The cross stands in the churchyard, on the south side of the church. It comprises a square base of three steps, approximetely 2m across the bottom, on top of which stands a square cross base with an octagonal pillar above. On top of the pillar is a modern tabernacle head, with figures carved on the sides. The bottom step has been constructed by using large slabs of stone and is embedded in the turf on the north side. The two steps above it are of smaller dry-stone walling. The three stand 0.5m high. The cross base above them is a solid block, with large chamfered stops in the top corners. The octagonal shaft above is 1.5m high and tapers slightly towards the top.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of Christianity. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. A cross may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments