This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0956 / 52°5'44"N
Longitude: -3.1468 / 3°8'48"W
OS Eastings: 321532
OS Northings: 244764
OS Grid: SO215447
Mapcode National: GBR F0.B22X
Mapcode Global: VH6BB.DLRB
Entry Name: Castle Kinsey
Source ID: 740
Cadw Legacy ID: RD067
Schedule Class: Defence
Community: Clyro (Cleirwy)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
The monument comprises the remains of a motte and ditch, dating to the medieval period (c. 1066 -1540 AD). A motte is a large conical or pyramidal mound of soil and/or stone, usually surrounded by either a wet or dry ditch, and surmounted by a tower constructed of timber or stone. Castle Kinsey is defended on the north by the deep ravine of Cwm Byddog and commands extensive views of the Wye valley to the east, south and west. The motte is c.5.5m high and 12m in diameter at the top, with a slight ditch and counterscarp surviving around its northern side. The line of the counterscarp continues eastwards beyond the scheduled area as a scarp to define the position of a bailey to the east-south-east, which measures c.50m east-south-east to west-north-west by 40m.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval defensive practices. The monument is well-preserved and an important relic of the medieval landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of both structural evidence and intact associated deposits.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.