This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.433 / 52°25'58"N
Longitude: -3.9722 / 3°58'19"W
OS Eastings: 266017
OS Northings: 283497
OS Grid: SN660834
Mapcode National: GBR 8X.MW1L
Mapcode Global: VH4FF.33DP
Entry Name: Bronfloyd Leadmine
Scheduled Date: 28 June 1993
Source ID: 1900
Cadw Legacy ID: CD152
Schedule Class: Industrial
Category: Lead mine
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
The monument comprises the remains of a lead mine. Mining for lead at this site began in the 17th century under Myddelton and Bushell and continued under the aegis of the Mine Adventurers into the 19th century. From 1854, the site was developed very successfully by J B Balcombe who introduced much new processing machinery and innovative techniques. Production ceased in 1892. The site is remarkably well-preserved and within one field are remains of all the processes involved. Extraction is represented by open cast pit, levels, shafts and an adit. There is a major building complex with two waterwheels comprising the dressing floors, a secondary waterwheel with winding drum, all linked by a well-preserved leat. Running up the hill between the processing sites and the extraction sites are two pump rod tracks and a tramway. Nowhere else in Wales demonstrates the full range of lead mining processes in such a small area.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance and illustrate our knowledge and understanding of mining technology from a single period. Lead mines may be part of a larger cluster of industrial monuments and their importance can be further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments