This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.452 / 52°27'7"N
Longitude: -3.9616 / 3°57'41"W
OS Eastings: 266793
OS Northings: 285588
OS Grid: SN667855
Mapcode National: GBR 8X.LR6V
Mapcode Global: VH4F7.9M0P
Entry Name: Banc Troedrhiwseiri Ring Barrow
Scheduled Date: 5 March 2008
Source ID: 1218
Cadw Legacy ID: CD238
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Category: Ring barrow
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
The monument comprises the remains of a prehistoric ring barrow, which dates to the Bronze Age (c. 2300 - 800 BC). It is located on a slight terrace on a NW-facing slope. The visible structure consists of a low, turf-covered earthen bank measuring c. 16m in diameter. The bank is circular in shape on plan and measures c. 0.75m in height and 2m in width. The interior of the barrow is the focus of modern stone dumping. Partial excavation in 1955 revealed the barrow to be of an unusual double-banked construction with single ditch. The outer bank was not continuous and is no longer visible. The inner bank was stabilised by a concentric ring of wooden posts. A central shallow pit contained a cremation burial, together with fragments of a pottery Beaker, a retouched flint and two barbed-and-tanged arrowheads. A later Bronze Age cremation, including a Pygmy cup, was inserted into the fill of the primary burial.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of prehistoric burial and ritual practices. The monument is an important relic of a prehistoric funerary and ritual landscape. Excavation has demonstrated that it retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of further ritual deposits, together with structural evidence.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and an area around within which related evidence may be expected to survive. It is circular in shape and measures 30m in diameter.
Other nearby scheduled monuments