Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Redden, settlement 60m south east of

A Scheduled Monument in Kelso and District, Scottish Borders

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6298 / 55°37'47"N

Longitude: -2.3597 / 2°21'35"W

OS Eastings: 377446

OS Northings: 637422

OS Grid: NT774374

Mapcode National: GBR C3YB.XP

Mapcode Global: WH8XT.QRHG

Entry Name: Redden, settlement 60m SE of

Scheduled Date: 25 August 2015

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM13579

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: settlement, including deserted, depopulated and townships

Location: Sprouston

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Kelso and District

Traditional County: Roxburghshire

Description

The monument is the remains of a settlement dating probably to between AD 1200 and 1600. It is visible on the ground as a series of turf-covered earthworks. Several raised platforms indicate the positions of buildings, while turf-covered scarps and banks indicate trackways and enclosures. A long, sunken rectangular feature lies to the SE and an area of rig to the SW. The settlement is located around 55m above sea level on the gentle S-facing slope of a low ridge that runs parallel to the River Tweed 0.5km to the NW and the Redden Burn 1.1km to the SE.

Between five and eight buildings can be identified as earthworks: these comprise five raised platforms that are clearly visible and three more ephemeral earthworks that may also represent building stances. The largest building is a very clear feature measuring about 25m NE-SW by 5m transversely, with banks indicating two transverse divisions. It lies towards the NW of an irregular enclosure defined by banks and scarps that measures about 43m NW-SE by 55m transversely. Beyond a trackway to the SW lie four more building platforms, also aligned NE-SW, ranging in length from 8.5m to 19m. Two of these lie within a rectangular enclosure measuring about 51m NW-SE by 28m transversely. This group of well-defined remains is bounded by two possible buildings to the NE and a possible building and a hollow to the SW. An area of rig aligned NW-SE lies further to the SW, and a long rectangular hollow measuring about 165m NE-SW by 15m transversely lies to the SE.

The scheduled area is irregular on plan, to include the remains described above and an area around them within which evidence relating to the monument's construction, use and abandonment is expected to survive, as shown in red on the accompanying map. On the SW and W sides, the scheduling extends up to but excludes boundary fences and their associated gates. The above-ground elements of other fences that lie within the scheduled area are also specifically excluded from the scheduling to allow for their maintenance.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as a rare and well-preserved example of a pre-Improvement settlement in a lowland context. Historical sources demonstrate that there was a grange of Kelso Abbey at Redden around AD 1300 and this monument is likely to represent part of the grange. The monument has high potential to make a significant contribution to our understanding of medieval or post-medieval domestic dwellings, their architecture, construction, maintenance, development and abandonment. The structural remains and associated buried deposits, including artefacts and palaeoenvironmental evidence, can enhance our understanding of the daily domestic life of the inhabitants and their society and economy. The loss of the monument would diminish our ability to understand the form, function and character of pre-Improvement houses and their associated settlements in lowland Scotland.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NT73NE 15 and NT73NE 42.

Dixon, P J, 1998 'Excavations at a medieval rural settlement at Springwood Park, Kelso', Proc Scot Antiq Scot 128, 671-751.

Murray, H K, and Murray, J C, 1993 'Excavations at Rattray, Aberdeenshire; a Scottish deserted burgh', Med Archaeol 37, 109-218.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.