Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Largo Parish Church,cross slab

A Scheduled Monument in Leven, Kennoway and Largo, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2204 / 56°13'13"N

Longitude: -2.9313 / 2°55'52"W

OS Eastings: 342346

OS Northings: 703482

OS Grid: NO423034

Mapcode National: GBR 2L.D1DH

Mapcode Global: WH7SH.YXB7

Entry Name: Largo Parish Church,cross slab

Scheduled Date: 31 December 1923

Last Amended: 5 March 1969

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM820

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: cross slab

Location: Largo

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo

Traditional County: Fife

Description

John Lessels, 1874-82. Astylar renaissance terrace comprising 4-storey, 2-bay unified townhouse fa├žade with main-door and common stair flats behind. Basement area to street including some vaulted cellars and retaining walls. Corner block to W with 5 bays to Walker Street return. Later single storey addition at rear of Nos. 6-9. Sandstone ashlar, channelled at ground floor. Entrance platts oversailing basement. Banded base course. Moulded cill courses at 1st and 2nd floors. Cornice between 3rd and 4th floors, becoming banded cill course at corner block. Corniced eaves course balustraded and stepped parapet at corner block. 2-storey corniced canted bays with fielded panels. Slightly advanced consoled, corniced and keystoned round arched doorpieces, narrow sidelights and plain fanlights. Architraved bracketed and corniced windows at 1st floor, pedimented windows to corner block. Architraved surrounds at 3rd floor, tripartite windows above canted bays. Small segmental windows with shouldered surrounds at 4th floor (attic storey).

W (WALKER STREET) ELEVATION: 4 storeys, 5 bays, slightly advanced outer bays. String course at 1st floor between windows. Round arched surrounds to main doorway with plain fanlight over. Round arched recessed surrounds at ground floor outer bays. Architraved, corniced and bracketed openings at 1st floor, some pedimented.

REAR ELEVATION: 4 storeys, 10 bays to E advanced. Squared coursed rubble with some ashlar quoins, cills and rybats. Some advanced single storey bays at ground floor; flat roofed with rounded corners. Regular fenestration, some tripartite windows at ground and 1st floors.

INTERIOR: original later Victorian classical interiors retained in part with later conversion to office space. Small entrance vestibules behind main doorway with glazed inner screen and doorway. Cantilevered half-turn stairs to back right of plan with corniced and decorated cupola over. Detailed cornicing at ground 1st and 2nd floors; floreate and egg and dart mouldings. Detailed plaster strapwork to some ceilings. Some later alterations with suspended ceilings and partitions.

Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows, with some 4-pane timber sash and case windows at 4th floor. Double pitch M-section roof; grey slates. Corniced ashlar gable end and ridge stacks with modern clay cans. Cast-iron railings on ashlar copes edging basement recess to street. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.