Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kilmux Colliery, beam engine house, 630m south west of Kilmux House

A Scheduled Monument in Leven, Kennoway and Largo, Fife

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2269 / 56°13'36"N

Longitude: -3.0283 / 3°1'41"W

OS Eastings: 336341

OS Northings: 704292

OS Grid: NO363042

Mapcode National: GBR 2G.CPM3

Mapcode Global: WH7SG.GR57

Entry Name: Kilmux Colliery, beam engine house, 630m SW of Kilmux House

Scheduled Date: 5 October 1998

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM7769

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: coal

Location: Kennoway

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo

Traditional County: Fife

Description

The monument comprises the well-preserved remains of a beam engine house which served the small colliery at Kilmux from 1838.

At this date, after 50 years of working coal seams near the surface, a pit was sunk to a depth of 54 fathoms and a 47-horse-power beam engine installed to pump water from the mine. This technological development increased the productivity of the colliery, which thereafter employed 40-50 colliers, enabling it to continue supplying steam and house coal to inland areas of Fife.

The building is now roofless with the walls standing to their full height. The S, E and W walls are of squared, coursed rubble construction with ashlar quoins and ashlar facings around the openings: the N wall, which incorporates the large, arched aperture through which the beam protruded to connect with the pump rods of the mine shaft, is of dressed stone throughout. The footings of ancillary structures are visible to the immediate W and S of the building while to the S, adjacent to the field boundary, stand the footings of 2 cottages.

The area to be scheduled is irregular on plan with maximum dimensions of 50m N-S by 70m E-W to include the remains of the beam engine house and the above associated features. The area is circumscribed by a boundary which, from its N-most point (at the junction of the track with the Lethan Burn), runs in a clockwise direction as follows: along the S side of the track for 100m to the latter's junction with the hedge which forms the field boundary running parallel to the A916; from here, along the N side of the hedge for 40 m until that hedge meets the Lethan Burn; then following the line of the N bank of the burn for 70m to meet the starting point, all as marked in red on the accompanying map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as a fine example of a beam engine house and associated features which together have the potential to increase our knowledge and understanding of small-scale coal mining in Fife and the industrial architecture of mid 19th-century Scotland.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NO 30 SE 60.

Reference:

GUARD (1995) Kilmux Archaeological Assessment, report No. 234.

Muir, A. (1953) The Fife Coal Company Ltd: a short history, 44.

New Statistical Account, Fife, Vol. 9, 384.

Stenphen, Walter, M. (1975) Industrial Archaeology of Fife 1790-1914, 156, Unpublished PhD thesis, University of Strathclyde.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.