Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glenorchy Parish Church, churchyard and tombstones

A Scheduled Monument in Oban North and Lorn, Argyll and Bute

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4041 / 56°24'14"N

Longitude: -4.971 / 4°58'15"W

OS Eastings: 216766

OS Northings: 727505

OS Grid: NN167275

Mapcode National: GBR 03.0K72

Mapcode Global: WH2K2.M91B

Entry Name: Glenorchy Parish Church, churchyard and tombstones

Scheduled Date: 24 December 1975

Last Amended: 23 December 2004

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM3810

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: burial ground, cemetery, graveyard

Location: Glenorchy and Inishail

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Oban North and Lorn

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Description

The monument comprises the churchyard of the present parish church of Glenorchy which contains a number of medieval graveslabs and was the site of a medieval and a seventeenth-century church. The monument was first scheduled in 1975 but the boundaries of the scheduling are unclear. This rescheduling clarifies the boundary and makes specific exclusions.

The present church is the third to occupy the island site between the River Orchy and the Orchy Bheag. A medieval church on the site was replaced with a new church by Sir Duncan Campbell of Glenorchy in 1615. This building had become unsafe by 1807 and the present church was erected in 1810.

The churchyard contains a collection of medieval graveslabs including ten described by the RCAHMS (1975, 133-4) and attributed to the Loch Awe school, dating to the 14th to 15th century. An eleventh slab and the side-slab of a tomb-chest, dating to 1500-1560 are also described.

The area to be scheduled is an irregular shape with maximum dimensions of 50m N-S by 50m E-W to include the churchyard within the boundary walls, as marked in red on the accompanying map extract. The 19th-century church, the burial layers in active use, the boundary walls and the top 30cm of the paths are excluded from the scheduling.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The graveyard is of national importance because of its collection of medieval graveslabs and for its potential to provide archaeological information relating to the medieval and seventeenth-century churches which previously occupied the site.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NN12NE 8.

References:

Brydall R 1897, 'Notice of a group of carved grave-slabs at Dalmally, Argyleshire', PROC SOC ANTIQ SCOT, 31.

OPS 1854, ORIGINES PAROCHIALES SCOTIAE: THE ANTIQUITIES ECCLESIASTICAL AND TERRITORIAL OF THE PARISHES OF SCOTLAND, 2, 1, Edinburgh, 134.

RCAHMS 1975, ARGYLL: AN INVENTORY OF THE ANCIENT MONUMENTS: VOLUME 2: LORN, Edinburgh, HMSO, 132-4, No. 246.

Ritchie J N G and Harman M 1985, EXPLORING SCOTLAND'S HERITAGE: ARGYLL AND THE WESTERN ISLES, Exploring Scotland's Heritage Series, Edinburgh, 99-100, No. 38.

Watson W J 1926, THE HISTORY OF THE CELTIC PLACE-NAMES OF SCOTLAND: BEING THE RHIND LECTURES ON ARCHAEOLOGY (EXPANDED) DELIVERED IN 1916, Edinburgh, 256-7.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.