Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tuilyies, stone setting, Torryburn, Fife

A Scheduled Monument in West Fife and Coastal Villages, Fife

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0624 / 56°3'44"N

Longitude: -3.5608 / 3°33'38"W

OS Eastings: 302913

OS Northings: 686601

OS Grid: NT029866

Mapcode National: GBR 1T.Q408

Mapcode Global: WH5QQ.8WMD

Entry Name: Tuilyies, stone setting, Torryburn, Fife

Scheduled Date: 1 March 1937

Last Amended: 16 February 2001

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM801

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric ritual and funerary: stone setting

Location: Torryburn

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages

Traditional County: Fife

Description

The monument consists of four stones, two with cup-marks, arranged with no apparent pattern. The monument was first scheduled in 1937 but an inadequate area was included to protect all of the archaeological remains and an inaccurate location was included in the monument name; the present rescheduling rectifies this.

The stones, located in pastureland at a height of 35m O.D., are arranged in two groups. The largest stone, measuring 2.2m high, stands alone at a distance of 16m N from the remaining group of three stones. The solitary stone is of irregular form except for its base, which resembles a crude cross-base. The stone is of grey sandstone and has a total of 54 cupmarks, ranging in size from 40mm to 130mm in diameter and up to 50mm deep, concentrated on the lower E face. Deep vertical grooves, thought to be caused by weathering, occur on all four faces. The remaining three smaller stones are of whinstone and are set in a triangle 3.6m, 4.6m and 5m apart. The W stone of this group has 7 cups ground into its western face.

The area to be scheduled is a circle of diameter 50m centred on a point equidistant between the large solitary stone and the group of three smaller stones, to include all four stones and an area around in which evidence relating to their erection and use may survive, as marked in red on the accompanying map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.